Table of Contents
- Latest Global Voices Myanmar Posts
- Featured Global Voices Posts – Myanmar's Rohingya
The Rohingya are a Muslim group from Rakhine State (formerly Arakan) in western Myanmar (Burma). According to the United Nations, they are one of the most persecuted minorities in the world, but opinion in Myanmar is divided.
Since the 1970s, legal and physical persecution has forced hundreds of thousands to flee in waves to neighbouring Bangladesh, where some have lived in appalling conditions in camps. The UNHCR has been assisting with the repatriation of Rohingya from Bangladesh since 2006.
In May 2012, inter-community violence was triggered in Rakhine State by the rape, mutilation and murder allegedly by three Muslim men of a local woman from the Arakanese (primarily Theravada Buddhist) community. On June 10, following riots and the Burmese media casting Rohingyas as terrorists and traitors, a state of emergency was declared.
Hundreds of Rohingyas have attempted to flee the violence to Bangladesh by boat but many have been sent back. The Burmese army has largely contained the sectarian violence, but abuses by security forces against Rohingya communities appear to be continuing.
What we do: Global Voices bloggers from South and Southeast Asia report on how citizens use the Internet and social media to make their voices heard, often translating from different languages. Check back for further developments to this page.
23 Dec – Rohingya Refugees Rejected by Singapore
28 Oct – Confusion over Agreement with OIC to Establish Office in Myanmar
07 Aug – Bangladesh: Citizenship Rights for Myanmar's Rohingya?
01 Aug – Myanmar: Claims of Media Bias Towards Rohingya
27 Jul – Bangladesh, Myanmar: Rohingya Repression in International Spotlight
26 Jun – Myanmar: Rohingya Boat Refugees Left Floating by Bangladesh Government
16 Jun – Understanding the Violence in Western Myanmar
14 Jun – Bangladesh: Keep Border Open For Rohingya Refugees
10 Jun – Myanmar: Rakhine Villages Attacked
27 Jan – Myanmar (Burma): Betwixt and Between
- Arakan Rohingya National Organisation – Working towards the right of ‘self-determination’ for the Rohingya people within the Burmese federation, based in London
- Reuters Slideshow on Rohingyas
- Living in Limbo: Burmese Rohingyas in Malaysia – Human Rights Watch Report
- Radio Free Asia Rohingya page – One of the ‘Least-Wanted People’ series
- Oxfam Resources on Refugees & Asylum Seekers
- Refugees United – A safe digital tool for refugees to reconnect with lost family and friends
- UNHCR Resources – Statistics, publications, maps, archives, records
- Refworld – UNHCR's leading source of information necessary for taking quality decisions on refugee status
“Forgotten refugees”- the Rohingya in Bangladesh, by Amnesty International Australia (06/03/08)
Witness: Myanmar's imperiled Rohingya, by Reuters (15/06/12)