The Gaza flotilla clash occurred on 31 May 2010 in the international waters of the Mediterranean Sea, when Israeli naval forces seized a flotilla of six ships carrying international activists, known as the “Gaza Freedom Flotilla”, who were planning to break the Israeli blockade of Gaza and deliver humanitarian supplies. According to Israeli sources, their forces boarded the flotilla after it had declined to change its course to the port of Ashdod, where Israel had promised to inspect the aid and deliver non-banned items to Gaza.
Between nine and sixteen passengers of the Comoros-flagged MV Mavi Marmara were reported killed by Israeli soldiers who landed on the ship, 10 Israeli soldiers were seriously injured. Israel defended its actions, saying its soldiers were attacked with knives and metal bars. (Read more about this current event on Wikipedia)
Featured Global Voices posts about the flotilla
- Jun 08 – Kurdistance: The Hypocrisy of Defending Turkey
- Jun 08 – Israel: Pixies Pull Show Stopper
- Jun 06 – Egypt: Protests and Policy Changes After Flotilla Raid
- Jun 06 – USA: American student loses eye in West Bank protest
- Jun 06 – Maghreb: Overwhelming Support for Flotilla Activists
- Jun 06 – Palestine: “I am afraid of the sea”
- Jun 05 – Iraq: The Flotilla Attack – A Series of Double Standards
- Jun 05 – Global: Rachel Corrie “Immortalized” With Ship's Mission
- Jun 05 - Israel: A mixed bag of reactions to the flotilla raid
- Jun 05 – Global: Reactions to Twitter’s sinking #flotilla hashtag
- Jun 05 – Israel: Flotilla Videos Gone Viral
- Jun 05 – MENA: Question Time Following Gaza-Bound Flotilla Attack
- Jun 05 – Palestine: “I Support Turkey”
- Jun 04 – Lebanon: Blogosphere buzzing after Israeli attack on Gaza flotilla
- Jun 04 – Syria: Lash Out Continues Against Israel's Raid on Gaza Aid Convoy
- Jun 04 – USA: Mourning the Loss of American Furkan Dogan, Killed on Flotilla
- Jun 03 – Global: Protests In Support of the Freedom Flotilla Continue
- Jun 03 – Turkey: Can Turkish-Israeli relations be rebuilt?
- Jun 03 – Maghreb: Views on Freedom Flotilla Unfolding Drama
- Jun 02 – Israel: Fighting the #Flotilla Digital War
- Jun 02 – MENA: Israel will have to Choose
- Jun 01 – Palestine: “Gaza wanted to greet you as victors”
- Jun 01 – Malaysia: Reactions to flotilla attack by Israel
- Jun 01 – Israel: Flotilla Clashes are a “Serious PR Disaster”
- May 31 – MENA: Rage after Israel Attacks Gaza-bound Flotilla
- May 28 – Israel: The Freedom Flotilla – PR Stunt or Humanitarian Act?
Previously on Global Voices:
Search Results for “gaza flotilla” – Global Voices
Global Voices authors summarize and translate blogger reactions to this event in the Middle East and beyond. If you have links or suggestions, please contact Middle East and North Africa editor, Amira Al Hussaini.