At Global Voices, our work is driven by our community, in service to our readers. Our contributors and editorial team decide what stories we tell and how we tell them.
We evaluate all funding sources based on the impact they have on our mission, values, and work. We accept funding that will not interfere with our goals, hurt our reputation, or threaten the security of contributors.
For more information please read our full policy: Global Voices Fundraising Ethics.
We would like to offer our special thanks to both current and past supporters, including:
- The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, for their enduring and considered support for our Newsroom and core operations.
- The Open Society Foundations, for their support for Global Voices editorial projects, including RuNet Echo, core operations, Advox, Rising Voices and our Summits.
- The Omidyar Network, for their longtime support of our administrative section, our Newsroom, and Rising Voices, from 2010 – 2018.
- The Ford Foundation, for their past support for our Lingua translation project, Rising Voices, GV Advocacy, and our Summits.
- The Dutch NGO Hivos was a major supporter of Global Voices Advocacy for online freedom of speech, Lingua, Rising Voices, and our editorial staff.
- Special thanks to the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation for support to create Rising Voices, support for our Summits, and the Knight-Batten Innovations Award in September 2006.
- Global Voices was launched as a project of the Berkman Klein Center for Internet and Society at Harvard Law School. Their institutional and financial support made Global Voices possible.
- Global Voices would also like to thank other current and past donors, and sponsors and supporters, including: the Mozilla Foundation, Google, Facebook/Meta, CIPESA, DW Akademie, BBC Media Action, the National Endowment for Democracy, the Taiwan Foundation for Democracy, IFEX, the Google Digital News Initiative, UNESCO, The Wikimedia Foundation, the Open Technology Fund, The Kellogg Foundation, The Avina Foundation, the Media Development Investment Fund, Reuters, the Adessium Foundation, Matt Mullenweg, the New Venture Fund/Gates Foundation, the McCormick Foundation, Ars Electronica, The New World Foundation, The Arca Foundation, Yahoo!, the European Journalism Centre, ifocos, and Outblaze.
Become a Global Voices Funder
If you are interested in helping fund Global Voices’ mission to aggregate, curate, and amplify the global conversation online, please email our Executive Director, Ivan Sigal.