Global Voices (GV) is seeking to hire an Asia-Pacific based subeditor who will be responsible for editing stories written in or translated into English by our contributors.
GV stories focus on topics such as internet culture, freedom of speech online, technology and digital rights, human rights, civics and political movements, diversity and representation, and language diversity.
Most of Global Voices’ contributors are volunteers and English may not be their first language. Contributors include journalists, advocates, students, teachers, researchers, doctors, scientists, translators and many other professions, as well as GV’s media partners.
Subeditors’ duties include:
- Editing stories written by contributors for publication for a global audience. Stories will usually have been given an initial review by a regional editor with knowledge of the topic and context.
- Participating in weekly virtual editorial meetings
- Working in accordance with Global Voices community and editorial guidelines, mission, and culture
Successful candidates for the positions will:
- Be native English speakers or have high professional fluency in English
- Have proven editing skills and experience editing news in English
- Be able to edit sensitively for a global audience
- Be effective communicators
- Be prepared to offer guidance to and edit the work of less experienced writers
- Be comfortable working with others in a loosely structured, wholly virtual work environment
- Be able to work to deadline
- Have high computer literacy
- Have reliable access to a broadband internet connection
- Be available for GV work 15-20 hours a week
- Be able to demonstrate a strong commitment to Global Voices’ mission and values.
Preference will be given to candidates:
- Who have a thorough understanding of digital rights, freedom of speech, and activism-related issues and dynamics
- Who have social media skills
- Who have a working or professional knowledge of another language, especially Chinese
Global Voices is a global, virtual organization. The engine of the Global Voices newsroom is a team of part-time editors who work with volunteer contributors and translators around the world to highlight stories and perspectives that are underrepresented in international mainstream media.
The geographic requirement associated with this position is to be based now and in the future in a time zone located between UTC/GMT+3 and UTC/GMT+10. Please note that Global Voices has no office or physical headquarters. Candidates must be comfortable setting their own schedules and working in a wholly virtual environment and be prepared to do some international travel.
We strongly welcome candidates from outside North America and Western Europe and encourage people currently contributing to the Global Voices project to apply.
A subeditor would be expected to work half-time with some flexibility, and will be treated as a freelance contractors.
Email a résumé and a cover letter in English that highlights your work and explains why you would be a great fit for Global Voices to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line: Global Voices Subeditor: [your name]. The application deadline is 11:59pm EST (GMT -4) on May 31, 2021.