At Global Voices, our community researches, writes, edits, and translates stories with a mission to support human rights and build bridges of understanding across countries, cultures, and languages.
We don't publish just to grab clicks or follow a news trend. We do, however, like to keep track of the ways in which our hard work has impact around the world.
To that end, one useful metric is how readers respond to our stories and translations. So let's take a look at who our readers were and what caught their attention during the week of June 11-17, 2018.
Where in the world are Global Voices’ readers?
Last week, our stories and translations attracted readers from 205 countries! The top 20 countries represented across all of Global Voices’ sites were:
1. United States
12. United Kingdom
But that's only a small slice of the diversity of our readership. Let's use the True Random Number Generator  from Random.org and take a look at a few other countries on the list:
Global Voices in English
The English-language site is where the majority of original content is first published at Global Voices. The top five most-read stories of last week were:
1. ‘You cannot be a liberator and a thief at the same time’: Video shows Russian forces disciplining Syrian soldiers for looting 
2. Singapore: Is it a city or country?  (originally published in 2009)
3. Mexico: Indigenous long-distance runner wins international race  (originally published in 2013)
4. Trinidad and Tobago’s religious leaders ‘unite to divide’ people around the issue of gay rights 
5. Leading independent websites go dark as Tanzania’s ‘blogger tax’ deadline approaches 
Global Voices Lingua
Lingua is a project that translates Global Voices stories into languages other than English. There are about 30 active Lingua sites. Below is last week's most-read story or translation on each active language site.
- من هو جلال الدين الرومي، وإلى من ينتمي؟  (“Who was Jalaluddin Rumi, and whose Rumi is he?” originally published in 2016)
- নেলসন ম্যান্ডেলার ১৭টি জ্ঞানগর্ভ উক্তি যা সকলের পাঠ করা উচিৎ  (“17 pieces of wisdom from Nelson Mandela that everyone needs to read,” originally published in 2013)
- 中国：性、监控、与“人民色情”（People’s Porn）的崛起  (“China: Sex, censorship and the rise of ‘people's porn,’” originally published in 2011)
- 台灣：對成衣品牌Lativ失望  (“Taiwan: Failed ‘Made in Taiwan’ clothing promise disappoints,” originally published in 2012)
- Izrael, jedna z nejvyprahlejších zemí světa, má dnes vody nadbytek  (“Israel, one of the world’s driest countries, is now overflowing with water,” originally published in 2016)
- Wereldwijd: Ramadanwensen  (“Global: Ramadan memes,” originally published in 2010)
- Singapour : ville ou pays ?  (“Singapore: Is it a city or country?” originally published in 2009)
- Israel, eines der trockensten Länder der Welt, hat nun Wasser im Überfluss (“Israel, one of the world’s driest countries, is now overflowing with water,” originally published in 2016)
- 17 σοφές φράσεις του Νέλσον Μαντέλα που όλοι πρέπει να διαβάσουν  (“17 pieces of wisdom from Nelson Mandela that everyone needs to read,” originally published in 2013)
- 17 Nelson Mandela-idézet, melyet érdemes ismerni  (“17 pieces of wisdom from Nelson Mandela that everyone needs to read,” originally published in 2013)
- Apakah Taiwan Sebuah Negara, Pulau Merdeka, Wilayah yang Memisahkan Diri, atau Sebuah Provinsi di Tiongkok?  (“Is Taiwan a country, a self-governing island, or a breakaway territory or province of China?” originally published in 2016)
- America Latina: la piaga del lavoro minorile  (“Latin America: The problem of child labor – part I,” originally published in 2009)
- シンガポールは、都市か、国か？ (“Singapore: Is it a city or country?” originally published in 2009)
- 1979년부터 이어진 강제적인 히잡 착용에 반발하는 이란 여성들  (“Iranian women – saying ‘no’ to compulsory hijabs since 1979,” originally published in 2012)
- „Ме викаат Хаџ Агха“ – Иранската револуција во форма на компјутерска игра  (“‘They call me Haj Agha'—Gaming Iran's revolution,” originally published in 2016)
- Dôsie Tafaporitsaka Mampiseho Fa Sary Miboridana No Takalon'ny Vola Indramin'ny Tovovavy Ao Shina  (“A major leak exposes how Chinese loan sharks make female debtors take nude selfies,” originally published in 2016)
- आफ्ना तस्वीरमार्फत संरक्षणप्रति जनचेतना जगाउँदै एक नेपाली वाइल्डलाइफ फोटोग्राफर  (“A Nepali wildlife photographer uses his camera to raise awareness about conservation,” originally published in 2017)
- Co można kupić za najniższą stawkę krajową w Meksyku?  (“Mexico’s minimum wage is criminally low. Is it unconstitutional?” originally published in 2014)
- Singapura: cidade ou país?  (“Singapore: Is it a city or country?” originally published in 2009)
- ਜ਼ੀਰੋ ਤੋਂ ਸੁਪਰਹੀਰੋ ਤੱਕ  (“From zero to superhero”)
- «Это не план жизни. Это мачизм»: убийство 22-летней женщины возмутило Перу  (“‘It's not life's plan. It's machismo': Outrage in Peru over 22-year-old woman's murder”)
- La mascota del Mundial de Fútbol Rusia 2018 tiene un nombre gracioso que nadie entiende  (“Russia's 2018 World Cup mascot has a hilarious name and you don't even get it,” originally published in 2016)
- Hekima 17 za Nelson Mandela Zinazofaa Kusomwa na Kila Mmoja  (“17 pieces of wisdom from Nelson Mandela that everyone needs to read,” originally published in 2013)
- Katarlıyım ve Evleneceğim Kişiye Karar Verebilmek İstiyorum  (“I’m Qatari, and I want to be able to decide for myself who I marry,” originally published in 2016)