Global Voices is seeking a part-time Contributing Editor to support our coverage of Russian citizen media, as part of our RuNet Echo project.
The project provides comprehensive and deep reporting on and analyses of the Russian-language online community. The purpose of the initiative is to deepen our coverage and analysis of Russian-language blogospheres, online speech, and social networks.
The Contributing Editor has several primary duties:
- Produce original analysis, research, and reporting based on our coverage of the Russian-language Internet.
- Selectively follow up stories with in-depth research into compelling topics.
- Monitor target civil-society initiatives, websites, and movements.
The main focus of our coverage and analysis is Russian-language online writing from and about the Russian Federation. Secondary content may also include Russian-language content from the former Soviet Union and around the world.
The Contributing Editor will assist in producing and editing content for the project, including the regular output of stories, translations, and networking. The editor will produce and/or edit several in-depth stories per week, as well as shorter posts linking and pointing to important topics, events, and writing as it occurs. The work will involve extensive translation, analysis, and further original research and reporting when appropriate, in order to elucidate and identify trends, ideas, and social and political currents within the RuNet. Analysis will also examine how content in the Russian-language online space relates to other communities, languages, and cultures, and offline Russian conversations, journalism, and social and political movements.
The Contributing Editor will also:
- Help manage Special-Coverage sections to consolidate and organize content from the RuNet project.
- Work closely with Global Voices’ existing Russian-focused editors and authors.
- Cultivate relationships with Russian bloggers and writers, toward the same end.
- Present at conferences and events pertaining to the Russian online world, as needed.
Successful applicants will have the following qualifications:
- Fluency in English and Russian. Articles will be published in English, with minimal editing. Writing samples will be required as part of the application.
- Familiarity with the Russian blogosphere, Russian social networks, and Russian political, social, economic, and cultural trends.
- Ability to report on, analyze, and explain the Russian online world.
- Have the ability to work independently, in an unstructured work environment, and in a virtual newsroom.
- Be computer-literate, and comfortable working with programmers and technical language. Programming/HTML knowledge is not required, but a strong familiarity with the use of online social media tools (blogging platforms, aggregators, and so on) is important.
Interested candidates, please send a résumé, writing sample, and cover letter explaining why you'd be a good candidate for the job to: krothrock AT globalvoices DOT org
Global Voices will receive applications until Wednesday, July 27, 2016.