Are you a bilingual—or, better yet, multilingual—expert on the Middle East and North Africa who values justice, equality, friendship across borders, and can't seem to get enough of the Internet? Do you enjoy working from home? Global Voices is looking for you!
Global Voices’ Middle East and North Africa (MENA) editor leads daily newsgathering from the region, writing and coordinating stories by our borderless community of volunteer writers and translators, while developing a robust set of online sources to stay on top of regional social, political and activism trends on the Internet.
Our newsroom is unique: it’s completely virtual, our writers are volunteers, our sources are multilingual and live on the Internet. Our newsgathering focuses on trending news, freedom of speech, online censorship, activism, and stories that are underreported or misrepresented in mainstream media.
The Middle East and North Africa editor will:
- Lead and develop the team responsible for reporting on the following countries: Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, Western Sahara, Yemen
- Write, fact-check, and edit the most compelling and important stories from online sources in their region.
- Add relevant context to stories for our global audience.
- Keep on top of developing stories, buzz and trends across social media and citizen media the region.
- Develop a database of reliable and vetted online sources across their region.
- Manage volunteer writers and partnerships.
- Meet deadlines and posting requirements.
- Stay engaged with virtual regional group, newsroom and larger community.
Work in line with Global Voices community, editorial guidelines, mission and culture.
Successful candidates will:
- Be fluent in English and Arabic. Fluency in French also a plus.
- Have a strong journalism and/or digital rights activism background.
- Possess sound editorial judgment on regional issues.
- Know who the credible social and citizen voices are in their region.
- Understand mainstream media, local press and social media dynamics in their region.
- Understand digital rights, freedom of speech, and activism-related issues and dynamics in their region.
- Have proven sourcing and news writing ability.
- Be able to write sensitively and knowledgeably about local issues for a global audience.
- Possess leadership qualities.
- Have a strong and reliable Internet connection.
- Be available 30 hours a week.
Submit a résumé and a cover letter that highlights your work and explains why you would be a great fit for Global Voices to us at firstname.lastname@example.org by July 4, 2016. Please include your name and ”MENA Editor” in the subject line.
Before applying, it would be useful to read 8 Solid Reasons to Work for Global Voices.