- Global Voices - https://globalvoices.org -
VIDEOS: Vintage Southeast Asia in the British Pathe Archive
Written by Mong Palatino On 14 May 2014 @ 14:05 pm | No Comments
In Cambodia, East Asia, Elections, English, History, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar (Burma), Philippines, Politics, Singapore, Thailand, Travel, Video, Vietnam, War & Conflict, Weblog
British Pathé, a media company which produced films from 1910 until 1970 in the United Kingdom, has uploaded  more than 80,000 historic news clips to its YouTube channel. Its archives  also included numerous films that featured countries in the Southeast Asian region. Many of these films are valuable resource that could teach us a lot about the region’s recent past and even the present. Below are some of the interesting videos we found in the British Pathé collection :
1. Invasion of Laos  in 1953.
2. Manila retaken  by Allied Forces in 1945. After the war, Manila was the second most devastated city in the world after Warsaw.
3. Water Festival in Burma  (Myanmar) in 1946. It seems water splashing today was as rowdy and fun as before.
4. Indonesia's Independence Day  celebration in 1945.
5. Bangkok street rally  in 1940. Compared to some of the street demonstrations in the present, the rally in this video was peaceful and orderly.
6. A school in Hanoi , Vietnam in 1973. See the bomb shelters near the end of the video.
7. New Year  in Vietnam in 1949
8. Cambodia  in 1969.
9. Singapore election  in the 1950s. After 1959, elections in Singapore have been dominated by only one party, the party founded by Lee Kuan Yew.
10. Manila flood  in 1960. Flooding is still a major problem in Manila today.
11. Kuala Lumpur , Malaysia in the 1950s.
Article printed from Global Voices: https://globalvoices.org
URL to article: https://globalvoices.org/2014/05/14/videos-vintage-southeast-asia-in-the-british-pathe-archive/
URLs in this post:
 uploaded: http://britishpathe.wordpress.com/2014/04/17/british-pathe-releases-85000-films-on-youtube/
 archives: http://www.britishpathe.com/pages/about
 collection: https://www.youtube.com/user/britishpathe
 Laos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgyJhD1B410
 retaken: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeTXx2vYgfA
 Burma: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btYD2wzgwFM
 Independence Day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEjN5wnHoDs
 street rally: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF1Nn6nYZvM
 Hanoi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFIbfFe7Ksw
 New Year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RydS_RCK5QU
 Cambodia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CllEj9J29YE
 election: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udHKsVVkOtQ
 flood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjY3ff5iCAY
 Kuala Lumpur: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxNBQZgditE
This site is licensed as Creative Commons Attribution 3.0. Please read our attribution policy: http://globalvoicesonline.org/about/global-voices-attribution-policy