Stories from 23 April 2011
With recent legal advances and a proposed bill that criminalises homophobia in the Brazilian Senate, cases of violence against LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender) groups and expressions of prejudice and heterosexism have come under focus. The online arena has been used to expose many reflections on the right to sexual orientation in the country.
At OpenDemocracy.net, Barys Piatrovich, a Belarusian writer and journalist, recalls the first month after the Chernobyl catastrophe of April 26, 1986: “It was difficult for me to write this text. I've been working up to it for over twenty years. More than once I have started to write but given...
Professor Benazir Ahmed at E-Bangladesh reports that Bangladesh has done well in combating Malaria and the annual death toll due to Malaria has been reduced to 37 in 2010.
Ever wondered about the genetic origins of Indians? Razib Khan at Sepia Mutiny analyzes in details about the genetics of Indians and the South Asians in general.
Paritosh Chakma discusses why fighting corruption in Mizoram, one of the Seven Sister States in North Eastern India, is difficult.
The series Música Realenga, which shows live recordings of independent bands improvising on the street, continues to engage us through the website Frecuencias Alternas [es] . Enjoy the music of rock band Campo-Formio playing at the corner of the Loíza and Santa Cecilia Streets in Santurce, Puerto Rico.
The team behind S.O.S Malabo has a mission: to promote “visibility, awareness, mobilization, collaboration for the people of Equatorial Guinea using social media.”
The digital artist collective UNDOdigital has opened a virtual art gallery [es] for a cause: the proceeds will be donated to the family of Yamil Emanuel, who was born with cancer.
Blogger, journalist and LGBT activist Francisco Rodríguez Cruz reflects on his political trajectory [es] before participating in the VI Congress of the Cuban Communist Party.
Ken Opalo writes his first installment on African presidents and the elites around them: “First on the list is Yoweri Museveni of Uganda. Mr. Museveni has been in power since 1986 and is pretty much convinced that he is God’s gift to Uganda has just won another 5-year term in...
This is how France robs Africa: “It is the colonial pact that set up the common currency for the Francophone countries, the CFA franc, which demands that each of the 14 CFA member countries must deposit 65% (plus another 20% for financial liabilities, making the dizzying total of 85%) of...
Jemila reviews Adams Apples, a 10-chapter movie series created and directed by Shirley Frimpong Manso, which follows the lives of the Adams women – four 21st century cosmopolitan Ghanaian women.
For days, my tweeps have been retweeting thought nuggets from the Twitter account @_Capitalism_. Here, I will select a handful of reactions to the on-going Arab revolutions.
American blogger and Syria expert, Joshua Landis, conducted a video interview with exiled leading Opposition activist Ammar Abdulhamid on the Syrian unrest. Speaking on Landis' blog, Syria Comment, Abdulhamid was questioned on a variety of topics concerning the Syrian revolution, from the dangers of a sectarian breakdown, to the regional implications of a potential collapse in regime.
Thai and Cambodian soldiers clashed anew in the disputed border territory of the two neighbouring countries. For live updates, follow Thai Report and Khmerization.
The 1st Malaysian-ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) Regional Bloggers Conference starts today in Kuala Lumpur.