Global Voices seeks a Deputy Editor to help manage daily content flow in English. Global Voices in English is a central focal point for more than 400 bloggers and translators around the world who work together to report on blogs and citizen media everywhere, with emphasis on voices that are not ordinarily heard in international mainstream media. We are a global, virtual organization led by a team of part-time editors who work with volunteer authors around the world across multiple time zones, communicating primarily by email and regional mailing lists.
The Deputy Editor must possess professional and personal skills to help the site maintain and expand its role as the leading website for translating, contextualizing, and amplifying international citizen media.
The Deputy Editor will be responsible for the following:
- Working with the Managing Editor to oversee the content on the website on a daily basis
– Working closely with the Regional and Language Editors to provide support for volunteer authors
– Managing the sub-editor volunteer team, and sub-editing articles as needed, reviewing all articles for style, copyright errors and other detail work
– Ensuring that content meets editorial standards prior to publication
– Moderating comments on the site
– Overseeing and updating the style guide and other editorial procedures
– Managing internal mailing lists
– Working closely with the Technical Director to manage and maintain meta data, tagging, linking, and information work flow on the site
– Tracking visitor traffic statistics for the site
– Scheduling and running regular editorial meetings in IRC chat room
The Deputy Editor will report to the Managing Editor.
We are seeking a candidate with the following qualities:
– Experienced editor and writer, with native English capacity and appropriate educational background
– Strong leadership skills
– Experience managing a multilingual, multicultural team
– Strong technical skills and experience with citizen media, including blogging, podcasting, and digital video
– Basic ability to edit and source digital photos
– Ability to lead team in improving headline keyword and linking standards across the site
– Familiarity with open source software and open content communities
– Ability to work independently and to produce results in a timely manner
To work effectively with our community, we would prefer that candidates:
– Have experience living and working internationally, or have traveled extensively in the developing world
– Are active bloggers or creators of online media
– Are multilingual, with fluency in English and at least one other language
– Have experience working in diverse, multicultural environments
– Are strong communicators and facilitators
– Have experience in a professional newsroom setting targeting a global audience
The ideal candidate must have a passionate commitment to the values and goals of Global Voices. He or she will be joining a well established team of editors and authors who are dedicated to amplifying the voices of world. There is no geographic requirement associated with this position; Global Voices has no office or physical headquarters. Substantial travel is likely. Candidates must have access to broadband internet connectivity and be comfortable working in a wholly virtual environment. We strongly welcome candidates from outside North America and Europe, and encourage people currently working on the Global Voices project to apply.
The position is full-time, but should be treated as a freelance contract.
To express your interest, please send a cover letter and CV to “editor AT globalvoicesonline DOT org”. The deadline for applications is November 8 , 2010.