Close

Support Global Voices

To stay independent, free, and sustainable, our community needs the help of friends and readers like you.

Donate now »

See all those languages up there? We translate Global Voices stories to make the world's citizen media available to everyone.

Learn more about Lingua Translation  »

India: The 49 – 0 Vote

I Say What I Feel….. describes the unique feature of the provision of the 49-0 vote (no vote) according to the Indian constitution: “Suppose, highest number of votes for a candidate at a constituency are 100, and that constituency gets more than 100, 49 – 0, votes then, that constituency would have a re-election and all the candidates who contested first time would be black-listed.”

5 comments

  • Lt col K R NAIR

    Yes I strongly feel that the voter should be given the right to reject a candidate if he is not acceptable to him.Atleast the voter can reject the candidate who has got a criminal background.Best is to have a key in the EVM.

  • […] K at A View From My Disjointed Laptop explains why the blogger had to vote 49-0 (refused to vote): “By choosing to vote, I will be endorsing the current system of elections. […]

  • Sie.Kathieravelu

    Against the names of the candidates there should be two cages. One to vote for him/her. the other to vote against him/her. And there should be a last candidate column with the words Against ALL candidates.

    In this way the voters rights to reject one or all candidates is upheld.

    The votes against a candidates must be recognized as negative votes and should be added to the votes polled for him and the net votes shall be recognized as votes for him/her. If his/her net votes is minus then he should be disqualified from contesting future elections.

  • There’s some inaccurate information here. Please see the factual position here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/49-O :

    * 49-O is not part of the “Indian Constitution”. It’s part of The Conduct of Elections Rules, 1961.

    * The question of candidates being black-listed and there being a re-poll is an urban myth.

    Nonetheless, this is a good way of making a point that our politicians don’t live up to our expectations. Even if 99% go in for the ‘refused to vote’ option, the decision would go by who wins the majority of the remaining 1%. Yet, a good way of making a point all the same!

  • love motherland earth

    I HAVE REFUSED TO CAST THE VOTE AS I DIDNOT FOUND ANY SUITABLE CANDIDATE FROM MY CONSTITUENCY KANNOUJ.
    I HAVE DONE IT
    NOW ITS YOUR TERM MAY BE AFTER 5 YEARS
    I AM SURE NEXT TIME THIS SECTION OF THE VOTER WILL BECOME DECIDING FACTOR INSTEAD OF POLITICIANS WHO ALWAYS DO THE WRONG THING TO GET THERE WAY CLEAR
    THIS IS WARNING TO THE POLITICIANS BE WARE OF YOUR DEEDS OTHERWISE SOME DAY WILL COME WHEN THOSE 50% WHO DONT GO TO CAST THERE VOTE TO MAKE YOU THE KING OR KING MAKER. WILL STAND UP UNITIDLY AGAINST YOU TO CHOOSE BETTER OPTION AMONG THEMSELVES
    THANKS
    Er.LASTMAN OF INDIA
    lastmanofindia@live.in
    9307927133

Join the conversation

Authors, please log in »

Guidelines

  • All comments are reviewed by a moderator. Do not submit your comment more than once or it may be identified as spam.
  • Please treat others with respect. Comments containing hate speech, obscenity, and personal attacks will not be approved.

Receive great stories from around the world directly in your inbox.

Sign up to receive the best of Global Voices!

Submitted addresses will be confirmed by email, and used only to keep you up to date about Global Voices and our mission. See our Privacy Policy for details.

Newsletter powered by Mailchimp (Privacy Policy and Terms).

* = required field
Email Frequency



No thanks, show me the site