2009 is the 20th anniversary of June 4 Tiananmen Massacre. If there were reincarnation, people who had been killed then would be twenty years old this year. Some of them would probably become university students, who are usually regarded as conscience of the society. Sadly this year, at least two university student unions in Hong Kong want to distant themselves away from the “burden” of upholding the political stand in “Vindication of June 4″.
Yuen Yan wrote a citizen report in inmediahk.net about the City University of Hong Kong Students’ Union Council's decision to bar the Student Press for distributing pamphlets in the upcoming June 4 Candle night Vigil because the action would imply a political stand in support of the “Vindication of June 4″.
According to Yuen Yan's report, the Student Council has spent 5 to 6 hours in the budget meeting on the publication of “June 4 special issue”. Members opposed the distribution of pamphlet in the Candle night vigil; below is a summary of the members’ opinions:
2. The student press has not rights to distribute publication outside the school. The student union executive committee is in charge of June 4 Candle night vigil, while the student press has not role in it;
3. The distribution of “June 4 special issue” will invite people to join in the vigil, it is a seditious act and will create chaos;
4. One of the suggestion is to distribute the “Special Issue” in Mongkok pedestrian district instead of during the candle night vigil;
5. The publication of “June 4 special issue” would after the university's reputation;
6. June 4 Candle night is a political gathering and distributing the “special issue” during the candle night would be equal to the support of “vindication of June 4″.
After the discussion, a member proposed to cast an opinion vote and 9 out of the 10 attendees opposed the distribution of “June 4 special issue” and the student press was forced to withdraw this particular budget item in order to get their annual budget passed.
At the same time, the Hong Kong University Student Union will initiate a campus referendum vote on whether or not the Student Union should continue to uphold the stand of “vindication of June 4″. Galileo pointed out in the comment section of Yuen Yan's report:
Within a few hours, the discussion has spread through inmediahk.net, twitter, plurk and facebook. Sidekick re-tweeted my message and received more than a hundred responses in a few hours:
RT oiwan: 慢慢地，平反六四不再是共識了。。。香港真係恐怖：www.inmediahk.net/node/1002676
剛才未讀文章。單看 oiwan 那句，我即心酸得流起淚來…
其實現在應該要做的，不只是單單的平反，而是要有機會搵外人去跟雙方做truth & reconciliation。不過一定要在我們這一代要完成，否則歷史會習非成是，永遠無法撥亂反正，如西班牙佛朗哥死後…
其實我覺得最恐怖 (古怪) 的是, 內地當權者對六四是越來越開放的 (我覺得), 反而香港 (尤其是基層, 例如呢d 學校o既組織) 就越o黎越保守… 真係發神經!
我對呢種事情感覺好無力, 就好似一d 老人家,甚或自己既父母, 佢地對六四由始至終都係冇感覺, 但我一直認為, 社會起碼還有智識既人, 佢地正尋求一d 物質以外更重要既野, 自由, 人權等等…但當年死既係大學生, 現在話唔關佢地事既都係大學生…到底發生左咩事
如果六四距離太遠，2003年的沙士和七一大遊行理應是這一代最” 埋身”的政治經歷了，然而，在政的的大力過濾下，距離不夠七年的沙士竟也變成某些人口中的” 有人煽動”，還有人敢在說是”外國勢力
當, “平反六四” 只係30+ o既人做, 咁當d 人死鬼晒, 又或在社會各階層都不在其位時, 又點算呢?
教育? 香港大概已經不能起政治教育的地方吧, 甚至獨立思考的教育都做不來…. 但我地現在既討論, 最少就係我地做到的事, 我地的的確確更深刻咁記住啊
Below is a BBC live report on June 4 incident for refreshing our memory: