The South African Blogosphere just sparked with the recent news of 11 Ministers and 3 deputy ministers resigning including South Africa's star minister, Trevor Manuel and The Deputy President, Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka. Here's what the bloggers are saying…
Finance Minister Trevor Manuel is among 11 Cabinet ministers and three deputy ministers who have resigned.
Their letters of resignation had been received by President Thabo Mbeki “which, regretfully, he has had to accept”, the presidency said in a statement on Tuesday.
“What the Hell?!?” is almost every South African's response right now as the news is coming thick and fast right now with news of 11 Ministers in Government resigning today, including Trevor Manuel (No! Don’t Go!) including 3 Deputy Ministers. This after The Deputy President, Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, resigned yesterday citing that she wants to allow the “new president” to choose their own deputies and “personal reasons” (Yeah, right.)
The Ministers who have left are…
Deputy President, Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka;
Minister of Finance Trevor Manuel;
Minister of Defence Mosiuoa Lekota;
Minister in the Presidency Essop Pahad;
Minister of Intelligence Ronnie Kasrils;
Minister of Correctional Services Ngconde Balfour;
Minister of Public Enterprises Alec Erwin;
Minister of Science and Technology Mosibudi Mangena;
Minister of Public Works Thoko Didiza;
Minister of Provincial and Local Government Sydney Mufamadi; and
Minister of Public Service and Administration Geraldine Fraser-Moleketi.
…and that’s not including the three deputy ministers: Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Aziz Pahad; Deputy Minister of Finance Jabu Moleketi; and Deputy Minister of Correctional Services Loretta Jacobus.
Following the President’s resignation, which was a blow enough to the country in terms of stability, etc. and now this… This is DEVASTATING. With no doubt, this is the biggest Political upset in South African history. No doubt, the ANC National Executive Committee is probably shitting itself after coming to the decision to chuck Mbeki out of the presidency, citing the recent case against Jacob Zuma in which the case was thrown out of court due to “political interference” (which they blamed on Mbeki)… I bet they didn’t see this coming, or maybe they did, maybe this is what they wanted.
Kgalemo Motlanthe, Zuma’s ally has already been chosen as the care-taker president since the other Deputy President had resigned, os now they have the opportunity to replace EVERYONE.
I don’t know what’s going to happen now, this cannot be good for investor confidence in the country , the Rand is most probably going to get shot to hell and there goes the 2010 Dream. Negative, I know, otherwise I’m hoping for a miracle.
From the East Coast News Watch Blog…
President Thabo Mbeki has lodged papers in the Constitutional Court for permission to add his name to an application to appeal Judge Chris Nicholson’s judgment.
*Plus, read his full resignation speech *
Mbeki filed the papers yesterday – a day after announcing to the nation that he has resigned.
The move follows Nicholson’s statement in the recent Pietermaritzburg High Court ruling, that Mbeki and the former Justice Minister may have interfered in the decision to prosecute Jacob Zuma. Last week, the cabinet said it was considering taking legal action over the judge’s comments about political interference. It is understood that cabinet has also lodged papers in the con court.
Dispatch Now speaks of plans for new Political party in South Africa…
Outgoing President Thabo Mbeki’s mother, Epainette, is backing moves to split the African National Congress (ANC) and form a new breakaway political party.
News of the plans by Mbeki supporters to form a new breakaway party emerged this weekend after the ANC national executive committee (NEC) announced that it had resolved to recall Mbeki from his office.
Defence Minister Mosiuoa Lekota, his deputy Mluleki George and Gauteng Premier Mbhazima Shilowa are believed to be spearheading the campaign to start the still-to-be-named political party.
On Sunday George would neither confirm nor deny the moves, saying only that an announcement would be made soon.
On Monday, Ma’Mbeki, as the 92-year-old struggle veteran is affectionately known, said she was aware of the the plans and backed the move to split the ANC as she saw no future in the organisation under current president Jacob Zuma.
The East News Watch Blog also wrote of the ANC's favoured candidate for the position of president, before the ministers mentioned above had resigned…
The ANC has confirmed that its Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe has been chosen as the party’s preferred candidate to serve as the country’s interim president after Thabo Mbeki leaves office on Thursday.
The ANC’s Jessie Duarte says while parliament still has to vote on the matter today – that will just be a formality.
“Mr Kgalema Motlanthe is the ANC’s preferred candidate to become the next president of the Republic of South Africa. He will probably be sworn in immediately after the resignation of President Mbeki takes effect on the 25th of September.”
Many South Africans right now are in absolute shock as to the events which are unfolding before their eyes, what the future holds, no-one knows, all we know is that right now, people are fearful as to the outcome of this situation.
Photo above of the South African Houses of Parliament in Cape Town is by Nick Boalch and shared under a Creative Commons “Attribution-Non-Commercial-No Derivative” license.