The new board of directors of Global Voices met this week and decided it was time for an exciting step: hiring an executive director for Global Voices. Believe it or not, Global Voices has operated for almost three years with no one formally at the helm of the organization, and with no full-time employees. As our work and scale expands, we've reached a point where we need someone to coordinate and head up our fundraising, management and public relations efforts.
This is likely to be an extraordinarily challenging task, but for the right person, it's a terrific opportunity to help our community reach new heights. The job description follows below – please feel free to share it with anyone you think might be helpful to us.
Global Voices is seeking an Executive Director to oversee the Global Voices Online, Rising Voices, Global Voices Advocacy projects and the community that supports these endeavors. Global Voices is a multinational virtual organization, supported by the paid and volunteer efforts of over 100 people on every continent. Our executive director must possess a wide range of professional and personal skills to help our project reach its potential as the leading international citizen media community online.
The Executive Director will be responsible for the following:
- Management oversight of Global Voices major programs, including direct management of team leaders for the website, language translation, advocacy and outreach projects
– Draft and manage operating budgets for the organization
– Fundraising responsibility, which includes grant writing and creating networks to increase funds
– Maintaining relationships with past, current and future foundations and corporations in order to maintain and increase funding base
– Financial management of the organization
– Maintaining relationships between a governing board, advisory board, paid staff and volunteer staff
– Overseeing PR/media relations for the Global Voices network of projects
– Extensive travel in the course of representing Global Voices
Specifically, we are seeking a director with
- Strong leadership skills
– Experience managing a multilingual, multicultural team
– Experience supporting nonprofit or commercial projects through corporate and foundation fundraising
– Experience working with mainstream news outlets and journalists
– Experience with or strong understanding of citizen media, including blogging, podcasting, and videocasting
– Experience managing substantial ($1m+) budgets
– Strategic planning experience, preferably in a nonprofit or media context
– The ability to work independently and be able to produce results
To work effectively with our community, we would prefer that candidates:
– Have experience living and working internationally, or have traveled extensively in the developing world
– Are active bloggers or creators of online media
– Are multilingual, with fluency in English and at least one other language
– Have experience working in diverse, multicultural environments.
The ideal candidate must have a passionate commitment to the values and goals of Global Voices, they will be joining a well established team of editors and authors who are dedicated to amplifying the voices of world. There is no geographic requirement associated with this position – Global Voices has no office, headquarters, etc. – but substantial travel is expected. Candidates must have access to broadband internet connectivity and comfort working in a wholly virtual environment. We strongly welcome candidates from outside North America and Europe and encourage people currently working on the Global Voices project to apply.
To express your interest, please send a cover letter and CV to “edjob AT globalvoicesonline DOT org” by December 7th.